Monday, May 23, 2016

Using Personal Experiences

Miss Carol Smith

One of the cool things about writing historical fiction is the chance to use your own experiences in the story.  Case in point, Miss Carol Smith.  Miss Smith is a character appearing in all three of my novels.  She plays a very important role in Ikons and lesser roles in the other other two.  She is introduced in Ikons as Rockdale's school teacher.  Her basis was my third grade teacher at Rockdale Public, Miss Smith.  Other than being a school teacher, I knew very little about her, even her first name.  All I really remember about her is, she was strict.  All business.  From her I built a forceful woman who was not afraid to take on anyone, even a big time banker.

Miss Smith, 1950 (That's me in the stripped shirt.)

"Miss Smith was dressed in a simple gray dress that began with a high, white starched collar and ended just above the ankle of her high button shoes.  Her small, round face was topped by jet-black coiffure in the Gibson girl style.  She walked perfectly erect, shoulders back, head high, with just a suggestion of sway in her bustle.  Massey studied her closely and thought she might even be attractive if she smiled.  However, she did not smile or exchange pleasantries.  She simply acknowledged his promptness and ushered him into the pallor."
Miss Carol Smith as she appears in 1912
Miss Smith's name came from the teachers I knew whose name was Carol.  It sounded good and was easy to remember.  I suppose I could have found out what my teacher's name was, but may have opened me to a libel suit or something like that.  So, Carol it was.  As my saga progressed, Miss Smith took on roles other than a school teacher, becaming an avid supporter of women's suffrage and immigrant rights.

I gave an Ikons talk to a book club made up of retired teachers.  They all enjoyed my strong, teacher character and said they could imagine themselves in her situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment